Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a medical condition when there is pain, swelling, and stiffness in the joints. It is an autoimmune disease wherein the immune system attacks the joints. There are medications and other treatments to cure this problem, but before going in for any medical procedure, it is best to try home remedies and eat foods that will ease the swelling and pain if not cure it. Let’s find out the various snacks you can have for rheumatoid arthritis pain.
The best approach to food for people with RA is to have a well-balanced diet that is centred on plant-based foods. About 75% of the diet should be from fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, while the remaining 25% should comprise low-fat dairy products and lean protein.
1. Dig into low-fat dairy
Low-fat yogurt and low-fat string cheese are two things that can take the edge off your hunger. They are good for your bones too as they contain calcium. So, they are ideal as snacks in between your meals to reduce rheumatoid arthritis pain. You can add in some fruits like berries to make it more wholesome.
2. Fruits galore
Fruits are good for arthritis, so snacks for easing rheumatoid arthritis pain can be prepared with fruits like berries, watermelon, apples, and more. It will be healthy and also filling. This can also be your mid-day snack.
3. Vitamin D variants
Usually people with RA are susceptible to vitamin D deficiency, so it’s good to add it to your meal in the form of canned chunks of sardines that can be tossed in tomato sauce and eaten on crackers.
This leaf is supposed to have many health benefits and plays a significant role in protecting painful, inflamed joints. Think outside the box and make some exciting snacks with it to reduce rheumatoid arthritis pain. You can add it to your bowl of fruits with some herbs to give it a new flavor.
5. Snack on edamame
Enjoy a healthy anti-inflammatory treat with a combination of edamame — a form of soybean and wasabi sauce. Eating high-protein soy foods that have edamame is known to be filling, a mood uplifter, and boosts cognition.
6. Salmon crackers
Relish some salmon, a rich source of omega-3 fatty acid that fights inflammation, mix it up with an olive-oil based vinaigrette, which again helps in fighting inflammation. Add it to a whole-grain cracker, and your snack is ready to be consumed.
7. Curry roasted chickpeas
Curry mixtures usually have spices like ginger and turmeric that have anti-inflammatory properties. Take a can of chickpeas, roast them, and toss them in a curry mix and you have a delicious snack.
It is supposed to be one of the healthiest foods for arthritis since it has sulforaphane, which forms a cell that blocks rheumatoid arthritis development. So, toss broccoli along with other cruciferous vegetables in olive oil, add some herbs, and enjoy a healthy meal.
Try out these snacks, and your rheumatoid arthritis pain could reduce drastically.